Q: Is Smile & Love, LLC licensed and bonded?
A: Yes, Smile & Love, Inc is licensed by the state of Illinois and bonded as well.

Q: Is Smile & Love, LLC covered by Workers Compensation coverage as required by law and comprehensive general liability insurance covering its employees while providing services to its clients?
A: Yes.

Q: How much notice do you need?
A: We typically need 3 days notice, but can place a qualified caregiver within 24 hours if required.

Q: Does insurance cover the cost of non-medical home care?
A: Only long-term care insurance policies cover our services. Normally, health insurance policies do not cover our services.

Q: Do government programs cover the cost of home care? Medicaid or Medicare?
A: Currently, Medicaid and Medicare do not cover non medical home care services.

Q: How do you train your employees?
A: Every Smile & Love, LLC caregiver participates in an exclusive training program, which covers the most practical topics and situations encountered in elder caregiving. Additionally some of the caregivers participate in ongoing training with CNA, CMA and Nursing classes/degrees. We require all employees to attend in-services to meet the IDPH 8 hour/year training requirement.

Q: How do you select your caregivers?
A: We are consistently updating our pool of caregivers from various sources such as job fairs and local universities to guarantee client coverage.

Q:Are your services available for the elderly in nursing homes, assisted living facilities or bedside sitting in hospital?
A: Yes.

Q: Who is responsible to pay the caregiver?
A: Smile & Love, LLC handles all the payroll, taxes and social security.

Q: Does someone from your office come to our home or hospital for a free assessment?
A: Yes we offer free in-home assessment with no obligation.

Q: Do you keep a journal in our home to document activities and ideas how to journal?
A: As a client, you will receive a folder with notebook and a list of every day activities to follow that have been tailored to the care plan you specified.  Our caregivers document the care given to the client on a daily basis in the note book and on care notes. The notebook remains in the folder as a  information and communication tool that allows family members to be informed of specific care given to their loved one for that day. The caregiver is required to detail this care on our care notes and then submit care notes on a consistent basis. Care notes allow our company to guarantee our caregivers are following the established care plan.

Q: Do you accept personal checks, credit and debit cards?
A: At this time we only accept personal checks, LTC insurance or payment through assistance programs aligned with our company.

Q: Can the caregiver help with writing out my bills or help with my banking?
A: No, it is strictly against our company’s policyWe cannot emphasize enough that our caregivers provide care services only and are not to be involved in any way, shape, or form with our client’s financial affairs. We feel confident the reasons for these policies are obvious.

Q: I love my caregiver so much and I would like to give a gift.
A: Our caregivers cannot accept a gift of any form from our clients, or the client’s friends or relatives, without prior authorization from Smile & Love, LLC If our caregivers do not follow this policy. If you feel a desire to give a gift, of any form, we ask that you put those desires in a letter to Smile & Love, LLC, detailing the items(s) you intend to give your caregiver. Upon Smile & Love, LLC’s approval, we will make the proper arrangements for the caregiver to receive the gift.

Q: What are the duties of the caregiver?
A: Duties may include but are not limited to the following: companionship, light housekeeping, laundry, meal preparation, accompany to appointments, personal care, medication reminders, assistance with all daily living activities. Transportation is allowed if it is a non-VA client.

Q: What about live in help?
A: Live in help can be provided by Smile & Love, LLC Live-in caregivers require: Place to sleep and food for three meals a day (Caregiver prepares the food). Space to put their clothes and other necessary items. Minimum of (8) hours of sleep/rest per day.

Q: Can we interview more than one caregiver?
A: Yes.

Q:  A recurring question to our client support staff concerns whether a family can treat their household staff as an independent contractor and avoid the entire issue of payroll taxes.
A: The answer is generally NO. Common law (not the tax code) makes the determination of when an employer/employee relationship exists. Under common law, a worker who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done. It does not matter whether you give your household staff great latitude, but rather that you have the right to control the work. It does not matter if the work is performed on a full time or part time basis. It does not matter whether the worker lives with you or not. It does not matter if he/she is paid hourly, daily or a salary. It does not matter how the employee refers to herself or how you refer to him/her in an employment contract. The IRS articulates strict guidelines that differentiate employees and independent contractors to further eliminate confusion (Refer to IRS Publication 926). Nannies, elder care givers, and other domestics are generally considered employees. You are generally obligated for all payroll tax filings and remittances if you pay the worker $1500 or more in the calendar year (2006 & 2007 threshold).

If you must file Form W–2 or pay Federal unemployment tax, you will also need to file a Form 1040 (Schedule H), Household Employment Taxes, after the end of the year with your individual income tax return, Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. However, a sole proprietor who must file Form 940, Employer’s Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return, and Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return, for business employees, or Form 943, Employer’s Annual Tax Return for Agricultural Employees, for farm employees, may include household employee tax information on these forms.